Feb 11, 2011

True Courage—Scripture: 27th Psalm

We are living in an age where bullies are dictating what it means to be brave and courageous. The person with the biggest gun, largest bomb, or the fattest wallet decides who wins the war on valor. We who live in America can get caught up in patriotism that many times is a mask for bigotry, ignorance, and intolerance.Yet I believe that in the face of all that is going on, true courage is still found in the lives of God’s people.

David, who was in the midst of depression, fear, and trouble penned these words, "The Lord is my Light and my salvation who shall I fear?"  The courageous Christian is not afraid of being called unpatriotic, or unpopular, she/he has a calling from God that cannot be ignored. Yes these are troubling times when independent thinkers are far and few in between, when foolishness and greed abound, but if we stand for what is right we have been assured that the Lord will hide us and protect us. So beloved, my counsel to you at the beginning of the year is to, "stand and having to do all to stand, stand!"

Consider:
True Courage is not trusting in bombs and material wealth, true courage trusts that if I stand for what is right the Lord will fight my battles.

Pray:
Lord help me to stand firm for what is right and just and trust that you will keep me in spite of any consequences.

Determined to live by faith,
Dr. Stan