Feb 22, 2011

Lord What Shall I Do When the Wine Runs Out?—Scripture: John 2:1-10


One of the great challenges of life is life itself, by that I mean that we can’t predict nor can we control all the happenstances of life. Often the unexpected, can be pleasant and gratifying, it can make your life exciting and worth living. However, my friends sometimes life takes a deep curve around the bend and when we get our bearings we find ourselves lacking and unprepared for the next step in our sojourn. My friends what I am saying is this, what happens when the wine runs out? What do we do when the marriage is in trouble and it appears to be getting worse? What do you do when children choose a path of death and destruction? How do handle the news of illness and sudden death? Well I am glad that you asked the question, for the scriptures will help us out today.

Jesus has been invited to a wedding in a town called Cana. When he arrives at the wedding the wine runs out. This would be a major embarrassment to the wedding party for if you invited people and the wine ran out, you were a bad host. Word would go out throughout the town about your inadequate marriage ceremony. This would start the marriage off on the wrong footing and have far reaching ramifications. Knowing all this Jesus’ mother came to him and explained to him the predicament. The first blessing in the story is that when things started to go bad, Jesus was already there! Question, has Jesus been invited to every event in your life? Well, if Jesus is not welcomed maybe you should skip it too. This is important because as stated earlier you never know when the straight road will take an unexpected turn. Second, be prepared to come to Jesus and be honest about your situation. Many of us stay in bad situations because of pride, when all Jesus wants you to do is confess that you need him. Finally do whatever Jesus tells you to do. This is the most difficult thing for most of us to comprehend. Here are two spiritual truths: Jesus knows what is best for you and He will not ask you to do stupid stuff.  If you and I can trust Jesus during the grey days of our lives Jesus can certainly turn water into wine and turn our tragedies into triumphs.

Thought: 
Lord I want you with me all the days of my life!

Pray:
Lord I know that I cannot avoid the day of trouble, so I pray that I have invited you into every area of my life. 

Determined to live by faith,
Dr. Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment