Feb 10, 2015

Youth Perspective on the Movie "SELMA"...

There I sat with my mom in the Cinemark,
Looking at the movie "Selma" wondering why life was so complex.
I remember reading all the textbooks
How my ancestors struggled while the other game them dirty looks.
Whips and chains because they wanted to vote.
The test they took were not a joke.
While forming lines, the marched the streets of a small town.
Those who opposed gave them several dirty frowns.
But MLK, as my generation calls him, did not stop.
 Several times, he went to the White House to voice his concerns without arguing or shout.
Peace, not violence, was the plan for you to see.
They marched and cried till they saw victory.
I ask how one man can stand the test,
But I see he had God and that was best.
They kneeled down in silence and began to pray.
His followers wondered why did he just walk away.
Finally LBJ saw the light.
Because Martin Luther King did not give up his fight.
A good eye opener for the youth to see.
A good eye opener for the young at Mt. Calvary A.M.E.

By: Jada Scruggs, Grade 10

No comments:

Post a Comment