Sep 20, 2011

Online Bible Study Lesson 11

Character development


PITFALLS!
Genesis: 37:19-36

Point to ponder:

Perhaps this is part of the great challenge of the Christian life, we have been saved by a God who has plans for us that he will not divulge but he let us know it by the development process.  “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”  Jeremiah 28:11
In out text today Joseph is sent out to spy on his brothers and bring back a report.  His brothers see him from a distance and decide to kill him.  
What do you think about the statement they made when they saw him?
Verse 20:  Here comes the dreamer, let’s kill him and throw him into a pit and see what comes of his dreams.
What do they do to him?  Remember everything in the verse is important!
Verse 23:  
What do they strip him?  What does that have to do with development?  The scripture say that the pit was empty, what if anything does that mean?
Purpose of Pits
What is the purpose of a pit?
What is the significance of the pit being empty?

2 comments:

  1. We studied the story of Joseph ( Genesis 37) during our online Bible Study this week. I learned that just because a person is gifted that does not mean he or she is developed. Joseph's clothes were stripped by his brothers and he was thrown into a pit because he was not not liked. While. he was in the pit his character was developed because he could only depend on God for deliverance.

    When Joseph's father Jacob heard about the tragedy; he tore his clothes and mourned. This lead me to read the story of Job again. Job tore his clothes and shaved his head in grief after learning that his children, servants, animals, and earthly possession were destroyed.

    What do these three men of the Bible whose name's all begin with the letter J have in common? They were all stripped of things they loved. Jacob was stripped of his son Joseph whom he loved more than his other sons. Joseph was stripped of his environment. Job was stripped of his family and possessions. They all had to be developed and to learn that God's way is the only way. We should love God above all things.

    Have you ever been to a concert and seen a performer tear off his or her clothes? Or seen someone tear-off a performers clothes at a concert. Or maybe you have seen this on television. I think the performer is trying to portray that he or she is god-like and the person who rips the clothes off is in despair, idolizing and wanting to be like the performer. God's way is the only way. We should love God above all things.

    What are your thoughts?

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My character was definitely under development on the 13th and I didn't know it. Natalie truly blessed my life by inviting me to join the online Bible Study class. I really wanted to stew in my anger but I half-heartedly agreed to participate. Well, it was God's plan because the sermon was speaking directly to me. God stripped away my anger and confirmed that I'm not the only person "going through" but I'm in the midst of other believers because I must experience the things I don't understand so my character can be developed for his purpose. Thank you Natalie for extending the invitation. I will be back.

    Shapel

    ReplyDelete